Welcome to Hazel Wood High School
Hazel Wood High School opened on the 2nd September 2019 as a sponsored Academy as part of Oak Learning Partnership, the school was formerly known as Broad Oak Sports college. Our new school launched following significant improvement works and it is a school we are very proud of.
Hazel Wood High School is a smaller than average secondary school with 650 students currently on roll and standard intake number of 650 that we hope to grow to 720 by the end of the Academic Year 2022. Pupil numbers are rising and our current Year 7 is above capacity and is oversubscribed.
Hazel Wood High School retains its position at the heart of its local community and many families have sent all of their children to the school which contributes to the strong relationships we have with our parent body. We have good relationships with our local primary partners and take our students from over 22 different primary schools.
We currently have 38 teaching staff all of which are specialists in their teaching areas ably supported by 26 members of support staff. Staff are committed not only to providing a safe and stimulating classroom and learning environment but also to providing opportunities that enrich the lives of our students.
We place great emphasis on an engaging curriculum and we are very proud of our unique Year 7 transition model that aims to ensure a smooth, positive and exciting experience throughout the transition year both academically and pastorally.
Our central values of Respect, Responsibility and Aspiration permeate everything we do and we would encourage you to come into school to have a look around and talk with our staff at any time.
Fostering a sense of pride and community and providing opportunity for all to excel.
- To be a role model to others and demonstrate positive interactions with all
- To use good manners, treating others how we wish to be treated
- To engage with others and to be considerate and kind
- To be prepared and organised
- To listen to others
- To provide consistency of procedures, policies and professional behaviours
- To ensure the safety and wellbeing of all at Hazel Wood High School
- To engage, enthuse and inspire our learners thorough the whole school Journey
- To be inclusive by understanding the whole child and their needs
- To promote the ethos of the school within the wider community
- To demonstrate a ‘can do’ attitude
- See every challenge as an opportunity to shine
- To work with integrity in order to be a good role model
- To reflect on our practice and seek to improve as a life-long learner
- To create a safe environment so that we are not afraid to try
Oak Learning Partnership
Oak Learning Partnership was established in April 2019 by Elms Bank and Unsworth Primary School. At the same time the Partnership was given the opportunity, by the Department for Education, to sponsor Hazel Wood High School. The Partnership was delighted to accept this offer. Consequently, three schools now form Oak Learning Partnership are:
- Elms Bank
- Unsworth Primary School
- Hazel Wood High School
Inclusion is at the heart of our Trust and this, along with a strong moral purpose, was the common bond that forged the partnership between the three schools. Any schools wishing to join our Trust in the future must demonstrate that they share the same passion.
Oak Learning Partnership is in its infancy. However, we have agreed a small number of strategic ambitions that will guide the Trust’s work and that of the 3 schools over the coming months. These do not represent the entirety of our ambitions but, at the present time, are the ones that are the greatest priority.
- Our ambition for our business is:
- To develop a cost-effective central team of high quality professionals which will support the organisation across a range of areas and which can, in the future, offer its services commercially to other organisations;
- To have a growth strategy that is based on a clear rationale, a strong financial footing and which articulates our collective commitment to inclusion.
- Our ambition for our schools is that:
- They will be able to clearly demonstrate, by their self evaluation systems, that they are improving schools and continuously responding to the changing needs of their population and, when inspected by Ofsted, they will be graded at least “good”;
- They will offer an inclusive, exciting curriculum, which is child-centred, tailored to the needs of the individual and which offers bespoke pathways.
- Our ambition for our pupils is that:
- They will make good or better progress based on their individual starting points and their specific needs;
- They will be extremely well prepared academically, socially and emotionally when they leave each school to move onto the next phase of their life or for adulthood.
- Our ambition for our staff is that:
- They will provide high quality teaching to all our pupils;
- They will be given the opportunity to further develop their skills through a quality programme of continuous professional development and they will respond positively to this opportunity.
- Our ambition for our community is that:
- There is open engagement with parents, carers, residents, local businesses and community groups which fosters trusting and respectful working relationships;
- An ethos of co-production drives the development of policy to build strong partnerships with all the Trust’s stakeholders.
Ambition to Action
In order to achieve our ambitions:
- Each school will set out, in the School Development Plan, its priorities and how they will contribute to achieving our ambitions.
- The Trustees will set out in their business action plan, the actions that they will take to contribute to achieving our ambitions
- There will also, in the future, be joint priorities where all three schools work together on common themes across all schools